What is MPI cable Siemens?
The Siemens MPI (Multi Point Interface) cable is a type of cable used to connect Siemens S7 series programmable logic controllers (PLCs) to other devices, such as personal computers or operator panels.
The MPI cable is typically used to establish a communication link between the PLC and the other device, which allows for the transfer of data and programs between the two. The MPI cable is usually connected to the MPI port on the PLC and the other end is connected to the corresponding port on the device.
Siemens MPI Cable is used for connecting S7-300/400 PLC programming. The MPI is based on the standard EIA-485 and works with a speed from 187.5 kBd to 12 MBd.
MPI is a communication protocol for programming parallel computers.
Siemens mpi cable part Number 6ES7901-0BF00-0AA0
There are different types of MPI cables, with varying lengths and connectors, depending on the specific application and requirements. Some MPI cables have a built-in optical interface to allow for long-distance communication, while others have a standard electrical interface for shorter distances.
It is important to use the correct MPI cable for your specific Siemens PLC model and communication requirements, as using an incompatible cable could result in communication errors or damage to the equipment.
MPI VS Profibus-DP
MPI (Multipointinterface) is the interface of SIMATICS7 multipoint communication. It is a network suitable for communication between a small number of sites. It is mostly used for short-distance communication between the upper computer and a small number of PLCs. The communication rate of MPI is 19.2K～12Mbit/s. There can be up to 32 stations on the MPI network, and the longest communication distance of a network segment is 50 meters (when the communication baud rate is 187.5Kbit/s), longer communication The distance can be extended by RS-485 repeater. MPI allows master-master communication and master-slave communication.
PROFIBUS-DP allows the formation of a single-master or multi-master system. A maximum of 126 stations can be connected on the same bus. The description of the system configuration includes: station number, station address, input/output address, input/output data format, diagnostic information format and bus parameters used.
Each PROFIBUS-DP system can include the following three different types of equipment:
- The primary DP master station (DPM1): The primary DP master station is the central controller, which interacts with the scattered stations (such as DP slaves) within a predetermined information cycle. Station) to exchange information. Typical DPM1 such as PLC or PC.
- Secondary DP master station (DPM2): The secondary DP master station is a programmer, configuration device, or operation panel. It is used during the DP system configuration operation to complete system operation and monitoring purposes.
- DP slave station: DP slave station is a peripheral device (I/O device, driver, HMI, valve, etc.) that collects and sends input and output information.
- Single master station system: In the operating phase of the bus system, there is only one active master station.
How to use serial MPI cable
- Install the Siemens PG/PC interface drivers and STEP-7 on the XP platform
- go to ” control panel > setting the PG/PC interface”
- Select PC Adaptor (MPI)
- check the wire’s connection to PLC (** port 1 or 2 **), the network address, and the baud rate
- Restart your PLC
- On PCL explorer check the communication
PG/PC interfaces are not working on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 (definitely not on 64-bit OS). Try to install Windows XP on your system or install a VMware Workstation and then install XP windows.